Wednesday, August 27, 2008

We Had No Idea

This past Sunday, we were surfing TV channels and came upon the greatest surprise. It was the Beatle's movie, Hard Day's Night. If you have not seen this 1964 pop classic, rent it, or catch it on IFC, like we did.

I remember so well on the day when Hard Day's Night came to town, everything came to a stop! I ran into the theatre with my girlfriends, sat in the front row and -- yes, we did -- screamed and cried at the screen. Those tickets cost us a whole $1.75 each....unheard of in those days for a matinee. They hiked the prices for this magical moment in cinema. (nice guys, scalping little girls like that!)

As I was watching the movie on Sunday, 45 years later, from the comfort of my living room, I was suddenly flooded with the wonder of it all. These four young British kids (two of whom sadly are now gone from us) had no idea what was to come. All they were doing was playing music, and getting rich and famous. None of the fans had a clue what was about to happen....we were screaming and crying and bopping out to some really cool new music we'd never heard the likes of before. And those haircuts??? Wow!

Here we were in the beginning of something amazing. Something that would change us all forever. And we didn't even know it. Clothing changed, music changed, culture changed, hair styles changed, politics changed. I believe every aspect of the human experience changed because of the Beatles. Somehow, and maybe it was because we were ready for a "revolution" on some level, the numbers all lined up and the Beatles were the last number in the lock. But here we are 45 years later and we are all profoundly changed because four crazy youngsters with strange haircuts started playing music.

I need to remember that history doesn't always come from a history book. History is a living, breathing thing. It is happening all around me every single day. I just have to tune in and listen for it.

A Final Comment about this Entry: My niece, who in 1993, at the age of 15, said to me: "Auntie Jill....did you know that Paul McCartney was in another band before he was in Wings???" Gotta Love it!

That's it for now. Until next time..... Pay it Forward, Jill


Send your comments: brassbouquet@comcast.net
Visit the Website: http://www.brassbouquet.com/
Send Photos of your Jewelry!

1 comment:

Rosanne said...

That is so funny! I remember sitting at my Grandma's and my Aunt coming in and telling everyone that "We have to turn to the Ed Sullivan Show, cause this band named the Beatle's was coming on"!
OMG look at how long their hair is!
I fell in love with them
instantly, but I remember thinking why are the girls screaming like that?! And crying too! LOL!